Thursday 2 October 2014

If you could change three things about yourself, what would they be? Why would you change them?

       When girls my age are asked what things they would change about themselves, their most probable responses would be to be more photogenic, to be really popular, and to have all boys falling head over heels for them. Of course, I won't deny that a possibility of living a life like that sounds amazing –even for me!  However, I believe that these things will not truly make one happy not even in middle school or high school. Being “photogenic” (taking HOT selfies), “popular” (having hundreds of Facebook friends, and going to every party) and “attractive” (tallying the boyfriends you’ve had) is not what I would like to turn myself into!
      
       "Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it", Bruce Lee once famously said. If I could change three things about myself, the first thing I would change would be for me to stop trying to be like someone else. When I was little, I was taught by my parents to stand out of the crowd. I was taught that being unique and different was way cooler than just blending in with the crowd. What is the point of being the same as everyone else? It's plain boring. You come to school: everyone is wearing Uggs, TNA leggings, and Canada Goose jackets. Everyone reads the same books, listens to the same music, gets crazy about the same movies and to truly blend in, they all follow each other to Starbucks after school. It’s almost as if one person has hundreds of identical twins that look, think and act the same! I would like to have the courage to show that I am different, and not to be afraid of being shoved to the bottom of the food chain because I don’t fully blend in.
 



       The second thing that I would change about myself would be my social skills. I must admit, I am a very social person but unfortunately, my social skills are not at their best.  When I say social skills, I don't mean that I am not good at making a lot of friends on Facebook because that is defiantly not what it means. The skills I am talking about are how to communicate and interact better with others. I would like to remember to smile more, not to sound bored when I speak, not to hold in words, and not to let myself be sucked into gossiping or even worse, judging others.
 
       The final thing that I would change about myself if I could, would be my self-esteem. Although it may not seem like it, self-esteem is one of the most important keys to life. Self-esteem by definition is "a judgment of oneself as well as an attitude toward the self." I unfortunately, have a very low attitude towards myself. In things like math, volleyball, and other every day things, because I have a few faults, I have convinced myself that I am not capable of doing them. Sometimes, I may not have even tried doing them, but I am afraid that I will not succeed in them. Perhaps, this is the most important out of all the changes that I would make about myself, as it would enable me in the other changes – so I would say that I should work on gaining more self-confidence.


 
     All in all I love the person that I am, and I would only change minor things: I would only polish my personality a bit. If I stopped trying to be someone I am not, I would start exposing the unique and different person I am. If I were to have better social skills, I would be a much more interesting person when I speak. If I would have more self-confidence, anything would be possible, let alone these little personality tweaks. Although all three changes are more internal rather than external, what is on the inside is what counts.
 

1 comment:

  1. They may seem minor but they can all have a major impact on who you are as a person.
    Remember to edit your work before posting it.

    19/20

    ReplyDelete